Gallery Server Database

Developer
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I just wanted to bring up an issue that everyone needs to be aware of regarding the database used by the gallery server. We're using the EF code-first CTP, and we're inheriting the DatabaseInitializer from the RecreateDatabaseIfModelChanges class. So anytime we make a change to the model the database will be dropped and recreated. So during the course of testing if you pull the latest code and rebuild, your database might get wiped out. As we get closer to a production release, we'll obviously need to remove that. So we need to start thinking about how we'll handle changes in production. When we started the project we were hopeful that the EF CTP would be updated and would introduce migrations before we needed to release. I know that Scott Gu alluded to this in his blog posts over the summer when the EF CTP was released, but I haven't heard any news about when that might happen. But I just wanted to mention that we're aware of the issue and will have an alternative in case the EF bit don't update in time.

Developer
Dec 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Fair enough.  We are not quite at the point where we care about data preservation, as we're still in early gallery testing.